Showing 1310 results

People and organisations
ACME Newspictures
TRC-A-0990 · Corporate body · 1923-1952

ACME operated from 1923 to 1951, under the auspices of Newspaper Enterprise Association. Earlier it was known as United Newspictures. It was bought out by United Press in December 1951. Corbis has some of the images in its collection, while some are held by the New York Public Library.

Agelasto, J
TRC-A-1226 · Person · nk
Albers, B
TRC-A-0441 · Person · nk
Allden, W G
TRC-A-0444 · Person · nk
Allen, D R
TRC-A-0865 · Person · nk
TRC-A-1251 · Corporate body · nk
Allport, Alfred
TRC-A-0916 · Person · 12 September 1867-2 May 1949

Part of the Thames Cup winning crew of 1893. Also an English rugby union forward who played club rugby for Blackheath and international rugby for England. In 1890 Allport became one of the original members of the Barbarians Football Club. He also represented Surrey at County level.

He was born in Brixton, 1867, the third son of Franklin Thomas Allport and educated at London International College, Isleworth and Guy’s Hospital.

He was a doctor, attached to the Royal Army Medical Corps in the First World War, and later Honorary Consulting Surgeon to St Paul’s Hospital for Skin and Genito-urinary Diseases.

He was twice married: first to Edith Blanche Eicke, daughter of R. H. Fry (one son and two daughters); then to Madeline Annie, daughter of Charles Price (one son and two daughters).

He was a member of Argonauts Lodge.

Ashford, Carla
TRC-A-0666 · Person · 13 March 1979
Askwith, Thomas Garrett
TRC-A-0774 · Person · 24 May 1911-16 July 2001

Born in Cheam, Surrey. He was educated at Haileybury and matriculated at Peterhouse, Cambridge, in 1929, where he read Engineering. His father worked in insurance, but was killed at Ypres in 1917.

Askwith joined Peterhouse Boat Club (PBC) in the Michaelmas term of 1929, and was Treasurer in 1930–31, and Captain the following year and part of the next. He was Secretary of the Cambridge University Boat Club in 1933. Askwith was a prolific oarsman, and in the Michaelmas term of 1931 became the first PBC oarsman since Lord Kelvin to win the Colquhoun sculls. In the Lent term of 1932 he rowed at 3 in the winning Blue boat in the University Boat Race. This crew won the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley Royal Regatta rowing as Leander Club, and was subsequently chosen to represent Great Britain at the 1932 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles. In 1933, Askwith again represented the winning Cambridge crew in the Boat Race, later that year winning the Diamond Challenge Sculls at Henley Royal Regatta by two lengths from H L Warren of Trinity Hall, choosing to race under Peterhouse colours over those of Leander Club. After this victory, The Observer remarked that Tom would surely be a 'Pothouse Immortal'. Askwith was again selected to represent Great Britain at the 1936 Berlin Olympics, finishing fourth in the VIII again.

After going down from Cambridge, Askwith worked briefly for Whitbread in London, before entering the British Colonial Service in 1935. Posted to Kenya in 1936, he was District Commissioner for Isiolo, and then Machakos.

From 1945 Askwith became the Municipal African Affairs Officer in Nairobi. Four years later, Tom was appointed Commissioner of Community Development and Principal of Jeanes School, Kabete – a training institution for African colonial development officers.

With his keen sporting background, Askwith chaired the Kenya Sports Association and was involved in promoting Kenyan participation in the Commonwealth and Olympic games.

Askwith was appointed to organise the rehabilitation of those imprisoned during the 1952 Mau Mau uprising, but was later relieved of his duties when he suggested that the Kenyan government should be more humane, and rely less upon force and harsh conditions to impose order in the camps. His stance was vindicated after the 1959 inquiry into the deaths of 11 detainees, who were beaten to death at Hola Camp.

Askwith finished his career as Permanent Secretary to Beniah Ohanga, the first African incumbent at the Ministry of African Affairs, retiring in 1961. Tom spent the next year working as a community development officer in Afghanistan, and worked in a similar role for the British government in Turkey from 1964 until 1966.

Askwith recorded his memoirs in three volumes, From Mau Mau to Harambee (1995), Getting My Knees Brown (1996) and Eyeball to Eyeball (1998).

He married Patricia Noad (died 1999) in 1939; they had two sons and a daughter.

Atkins, M S
TRC-A-0250 · Person · nk
Bahon, P M
TRC-A-0598 · Person · nk
Baker, Bill
TRC-A-0792 · Person · nk
Baker, C P
TRC-A-0744 · Person · nk
Baker, R R
TRC-A-1190 · Person · nk
Bale, Jon P
TRC-A-0677 · Person · nk
Bare, Reginald George
TRC-A-0152 · Person · 14 June 1900-7 January 1984

Reggie Bare showed exception skills as an oarsman at Westminster School, and soon established himself at stroke at TRC. He was part of a young group coached by Steve Fairbairn that won the Thames Challenge Cup at Henley in 1920 and picked up 41 wins in 1922 and 1923. One of these was the 1923 Grand Challenge Cup at Henley. It was Thames’ first Grand win of the 20th century, and came after Bare and fellow crew members suffered disappointment after losing to Leander in the final the previous year. The Thames eight represented Great Britain at the 1924 Paris Olympics and, despite setting an Olympic best time in their first round heat, missed out on a medal after finishing fourth, just half-a-length behind bronze medallists Italy. Bare was also a single sculler and canoeist on the Thames.

Barker, F R
TRC-A-0351 · Person · nk
Barry, H A
TRC-A-0967 · Person · nk

Won Doggetts Coat and Badge in 1925, 'World Sculling' title in 1927, (and possibly 1928).

Batten, Guin
TRC-A-0268 · Person · 27 September 1967-
Batten, Miriam
TRC-A-0262 · Person · 4 November 1964-
Bavan, J
TRC-A-0449 · Person · nk
Beale, J
TRC-A-0838 · Person · nk
Beard, Tom
TRC-A-0698 · Person · nk
Beaton, R H
TRC-A-0450 · Person · nk
Beaumont, George
TRC-A-0832 · Person · 4 July 1904-1990

Great Britain 1928 Olympic coxed four

Beaumont, R
TRC-A-0407 · Person · nk
Beesly, Richard
TRC-A-0843 · Person · 27 July 1907-28 March 1965

Great Britain 1928 Olympic coxless four

Beever, Alex
TRC-A-1111 · Person · 5 September 1973-
Bell, D L
TRC-A-0310 · Person · nk
Bemrose, J
TRC-A-1212 · Person · nk
TRC-A-0423 · Person · nk
Beresford, Jack
TRC-A-0022 · Person · 1 January 1899-3 December 1977

Jack Beresford [formerly Jack Beresford Wiszniewski] (1899–1977), oarsman, was born at 36 St Mary's Grove, Chiswick, Middlesex, on 1 January 1899, the elder son and eldest of the three children of Julius Beresford Wiszniewski (b. 1868) and his wife, Ethel Mary Wood. His father, Julius, was taken to Britain from Poland by his governess at the age of twelve, and became a furniture manufacturer. Jack was educated at Bedford School, served with the Artists' Rifles in 1917, was commissioned in the Liverpool Scottish regiment, and was wounded in the leg in northern France in 1918. At school his sporting ambitions were directed at rugby, but prescribed physiotherapy of rowing a dinghy at Fowey, Cornwall, turned him to rowing. He then entered his father's business, and began working at the furniture factory Beresford and Hicks, of Curtain Road, London.

Beresford had an outstanding record as an amateur sculler and as an oarsman with Thames Rowing Club. He won the Wingfield sculls from 1920 to 1926, which made him amateur champion of England, and he won the diamond sculls at Henley royal regatta four times during that period. He made his international mark by winning a silver medal at the Olympic games in Antwerp in 1920, when he lost the single sculling title by one second to an Irish bricklayer from Philadelphia, John Brendan (Jack) Kelly. The two men, who in later years became friends, encapsulated the controversy of the day concerning amateur status. Before competing in the Olympics, Kelly's entry for the diamond sculls was refused. Kelly claimed that he never received the rejection letter, and the story spread that he was snubbed because, as a manual worker, the Henley stewards considered him to be a professional. Beresford, however, epitomized their view of an amateur oarsman prevalent at the time. He was sporting, displayed loyalty to his club, dressed for dinner, was well heeled, and when not in a boat was an ambassador for a gentlemanly way of life. He was fit and hardy, and a colleague remembered him as never wearing a waistcoat or an overcoat, whatever the weather. The real reason for Kelly's ban, however, was that his club, Vesper of Philadelphia, had been barred by the stewards in 1905 for sending for the Grand Challenge Cup an eight who had received payment and been supported by public subscription. Kelly's family bricklaying company built many of Philadelphia's twentieth-century public buildings. His son Jack grew up to win the diamond sculls in 1947 and 1949, and his daughter Grace became the princess of Monaco.

From the beginning of his rowing career, Beresford displayed the tactical brilliance of a winner, assessing his opponents' capabilities and pacing his training, and usually his racing, to do just enough to beat them, although he clearly possessed the killer instinct which motivates a winner and a breaker of records. 'He was very vicious in the boat,' said Eric Phelps, his coach for the Berlin Olympics. 'He would give a sickly smile to the man next to him. He never knew what it was to pack up' (private information, E. Phelps).

Beresford's successes proved his worth in every type of boat—eights, fours, pairs, and sculls—the more remarkable because his rowing weight was normally just over 11 stone and he stood about 5 feet 10 inches, light and short as oarsmen go. He won the Philadelphia gold cup for the world amateur title in 1924 and 1925, and was given the Helms award for sculling in Los Angeles in 1926. He won four further medals in the next four Olympic games: gold in the single scull in Paris in 1924, silver in the British eight in Amsterdam in 1928, gold in the coxless four in Los Angeles in 1932, and his most celebrated gold in the double sculls with Leslie (Dick) Southwood in Berlin in 1936.

The Berlin medal was Beresford's finest moment. The first five of the seven Olympic titles had gone to the Germans, under the watchful eye of their chancellor, Adolf Hitler, who was presenting the medals. Beresford and Southwood were coached by the English professional Eric Phelps, who had an intimate knowledge of the German team. He had a new, light boat built for his charges by Roly Sims in two and a half days (although it was lost in suspicious circumstances on the German rail system and turned up in Berlin only shortly before their first race) and surmised that the German crew, strong favourites, lacked the stamina to complete the 2000 metre course if put under severe pressure.

The British crew lost in the first heat to the Germans, who crossed into their lane, but qualified for the final by winning a repêchage, or ‘second chance’ round, in champion form. In the final, both crews jumped the start after observing that the starter, Victor de Bisschop, was using a megaphone so large that he could see nothing once he raised it to his lips. The British led for 500 metres, then Willy Kaidel and Joachim Pirsch went ahead. Opposite Phelps's vantage point at 1800 metres the crews were level. Southwood shouted when the Germans wandered from their lane, and then Pirsch stopped rowing. Phelps's men had rowed them down, just as he predicted. Beresford's German nickname, the Old Fox, was vindicated. It was 'the sweetest race I ever rowed in', he said. His record of rowing medals in five consecutive Olympics was unsurpassed until 2000, when Steven Redgrave of Britain won his fifth consecutive gold in Sydney.

Beresford crowned his outstanding record at Henley of two wins in the Grand Challenge Cup (1923, 1928), two in the goblets (1928–9), one in the stewards' (1932), and four in the diamonds (1920, 1924–6) by coming out of retirement with Southwood for a new event in 1939, the invitation centennial double sculls. Their famous victory in Berlin inspired the stewards to introduce this class of boat, and the Thames Rowing Club men, aged forty and thirty-six respectively, won the final in a dead heat with the Trieste double G. Scherli and E. Broschi. The Italians were European champions and much heavier and younger than Beresford and Southwood, and the Thames men realized that they would have no chance should the stewards order a re-row. As soon as they had returned their boat to its rack in the boat tent, Beresford went over to where the Italians were lying exhausted and, in a superb act of gamesmanship, cheerily congratulated them on a great race. 'Do it again in half an hour?' he is reputed to have said (private information, L. Southwood). The Italians declined profusely, and honours remained even.

In 1940 Beresford married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Craske Leaning, a medical doctor. They had one son and one daughter. This marriage was dissolved and in 1958 he married Stroma Jean Margaret, daughter of the Revd Andrew Morrison; they had two daughters.

Beresford lived at Shiplake and was often seen sculling at Henley, but always competed for Thames Rowing Club, the Putney club for which his father, ‘Old Berry’, had a distinguished record as an oarsman and coach, including winning a silver medal in the 1912 Olympic games and several Henley medals. Jack was captain of Thames in 1928–9, a vice-president from 1936 to 1977, and president from 1970 to 1977. He devoted considerable efforts to coaching and sports administration, and he carried the flag as leader of the British team in the opening ceremony of the Berlin games. He managed rowing teams on tour in South America in 1947, for the empire games in 1950, and the Olympic games of 1952. He was a rowing selector from 1938 to 1954.

Beresford was a member of the British Olympic Council from 1936 and a member of the organizing committee of the Olympic games in 1948, as well as helping to coach the double scullers Bert Bushnell and Richard Burnell, who won a gold medal. He was awarded the gold medal of the International Rowing Federation in 1947, and the Olympic diploma of merit in 1949, after helping to organize the games in London and Henley-on-Thames in 1948. He was elected a Henley steward in 1946 and was on the committee of management for many years. He was connected with the National Playing Fields Association, the Greater London and South-east Sports Council, and served on the council of the Amateur Rowing Association for thirty-five years. He was a keen swimmer and beagler with the Farley Hill beaglers, and played the umpire in the film Half a Sixpence. He was rowing correspondent of The Field from 1966 to 1971. He was a member of the court of the Furniture Makers' Guild and a liveryman of the Painters' and Stainers' Company. He was made a freeman of the City of London in 1952 and appointed CBE in 1960.

Beresford was courteous both to colleagues and to younger oarsmen, although his competitive edge in a boat occasionally spilled into arrogance when dealing with lesser mortals on the bank. When over seventy he competed in the 4½ mile scullers head of the river race. He was shaken in his last years by a tragic accident at the national schools regatta at Pangbourne in 1969. On that occasion, aged seventy, he dived into the Thames from his umpire's launch to rescue a boy who had caught a crab during a race and had been swept out of his boat. Beresford, an expert swimmer, reached the boy under the surface but had to struggle with the victim's desperate attempts to cling to him. The boy was eventually drowned. His failure to overcome the boy's plight and the tricky currents troubled him for the rest of his life. He died at his home, Highlands House, Shiplake, on 3 December 1977, the morning after presiding cheerfully over the Thames annual dinner.

Beresford, Julius
TRC-A-0018 · Person · 29 June 1868-29 September 1959

Julius Beresford Wiszniewski, later known simply as Julius Beresford, was the son of Julius Bernhard Wiszniewski, an immigrant to England from Danzig (Gdansk).

He married Ethel Wood in June 1897 and had three children.

He was a sculler at Kensington Rowing Club and then joined Thames when he decided to concentrate on sweep-oar rowing. He won the Stewards' at Henley in 1909 and 1911 and Silver in the coxed four at the 1912 Olympics.

He was later Captain and de facto head coach.

With his future brother in law Richard Hicks (who married his sister Stella Beatrice Johanna Wiszniewski in 1896) Julius Bernard formed Beresford & Hicks in 1891. The company had a factory in Hemsworth Street, Hoxton, and a showroom in Curtain Road, Shoreditch. By 1918 they were known as ‘manufacturing upholstering and framemakers’ with a large showroom at 135-139 Curtain Road. The firm supplied bedroom suites to Heal’s, Tottenham Court Road; this comprised one particular design in 1905 and three in 1936. The firm was also known for making high quality upholstered goods and English reproduction furniture of all types and supplied furniture to the Royal Family in 1933. Production grew to include high quality modern boardroom furniture and it was granted a royal warrant in 1958, with Jack Beresford, the son of Julius, named as the grantee. In 1967 the Hemsworth Street factory was purchased by the Greater London Council and a new factory was built in Kings Lynn. About this time the firm merged with another old-established but ailing firm, Alfred Cox of Corsham Street, to produce mainly domestic furniture. The firm was acquired by Uniflex in 1972 but ceased to exist in 1995.

Bevan, Edward Vaughan
TRC-A-0834 · Person · 3 November 1907-22 February 1988

Great Britain 1928 Olympic coxless four

Bigg, J M
TRC-A-0453 · Person · nk