Showing 1310 results

People and organisations
Eyre, William Henry
TRC-A-0002 · Person · 1848-1939

Born in Corbridge, Northumberland.
Part of TRC's first winning crew at Henley - the Wyfold Challenge Cup in 1870 - and then went on to win in several other events.
He was Captain in the 1871 season.
He served as a Steward of Henley for over 30 years and only missed the regatta in 1939, shortly before he died.
He was a Solicitor (a partner, with Walter Rye, in Rye & Eyre of Golden Square) and was closely involved in the negotiation of the purchase of the freehold of the clubhouse and land.
Aside from Thames, he also had a long association with Kensington Rowing Club.

Slater, William Lord
TRC-A-0005 · Person · 1842-29 March 1914

Born in Cork to Alvara Lofthouse Slater and Charlotte Augusta Millicent Daunt.
Died in Kingsbridge, Devon.

Lowe, A J
TRC-A-0006 · Person · nk
Shearman, John
TRC-A-0007 · Person · 1855-1940

Jack Shearman was the son of Montague Shearman (who had won the Stewards' Challenge Cup at Henley) and Mary (nee Catty), the sister of early Thames members Frederick and James Catty.

While a teenager, he coxed the winning Wyfold Challenge Cup crews of 1870 and 1871. His brother, another Montague, later rowed for Thames.

Smith, H J
TRC-A-0008 · Person · nk
Fairbairn, Stephen
TRC-A-0009 · Person · 25 August 1862-16 May 1938

Fairbairn, Stephen (1862–1938), oarsman, was born at Toorak, Melbourne, Australia, on 25 August 1862, the fifth of the six sons of George Fairbairn and his wife, Virginia Charlotte, youngest daughter of George Armytage of Geelong, Victoria, a native of Derbyshire. George Fairbairn, having emigrated from Berwickshire in 1839, owned a large sheep station and in the 1870s started the first canning and meat-freezing works in Australia. The Scottish theologian Patrick Fairbairn was Stephen's uncle, and one of his elder brothers was Sir George Fairbairn, agent-general for Victoria from 1924 to 1927.

Fairbairn was a spirited and somewhat unruly child, and he passed through several schools before settling at Geelong grammar school, under the guiding influence of the headmaster, J. B. Wilson. A tall and handsome youth, he earned distinction in all forms of sport, but also performed well academically, and he followed his brothers to Jesus College, Cambridge, where he read law, graduating in 1884. He was called to the bar by the Inner Temple in 1886 but did not practise. In 1884 he returned to Australia, where, but for two intervals in England, in 1886–7 and 1897–8, he worked at the family's farming interests in Victoria and western Queensland. On 18 November 1891 he married Ellen, daughter of Sydney Sharwood of Aramac, Queensland; they had two sons. Fairbairn came back to England in 1904 and thereafter devoted himself almost exclusively to coaching various rowing clubs, both in London, where he worked as a director of Dalgety & Co., Australia, merchants, and in Cambridge.

Fairbairn rowed in the losing Cambridge crews of 1882 and 1883 and in the victorious crews of 1886 and 1887, and won many other races besides, including the Grand Challenge Cup, the Stewards', and the Wyfold at Henley. However, his claim to fame rests on his methods of coaching and the success of the crews that he coached. In an era of competing rowing styles, with their emphasis on differing body positions during the stroke, some tried to attribute to Fairbairn a new style, ‘Fairbairnism’. That, however, came from a complete misunderstanding of the man. Fairbairn created no new style and had no desire to invent one. He wrote: 'There are certain principles underlying rowing, and what is called style is the endeavour to carry them out. Variations are merely failures to carry out the principles. There can be only one true style.' He emphasized above all a powerful leg drive and a relaxed recovery to maximize the boat speed, and he cared little for the aesthetic effect that this produced. He turned the pupil's mind to the oar in the water and to moving the boat, regardless of the angle of the head or the straightness of the back, whereas the orthodox coach would concentrate on positioning the body in order to produce certain results on the oar and the passage of the boat. Fairbairn summed up the debate over style as '“pretty pretty” versus honest hard work' and wrote: 'Never sacrifice work to appearance; but of course style is effect, and honest hard work will give true style eventually' (The Times, 1 June 1931; Fairbairn on Rowing, 542).

Fairbairn coached always for looseness and ease. A favourite remark was: 'If you can't do it easily, you can't do it at all'. He would never try to correct by condemnation and gave wide licence to individuals to develop their stroke naturally. He was ahead of his time in recognizing the importance of the subconscious mind in the development of technique, and his famous phrase 'Mileage makes champions' resonates still. He set before the performer an ideal after which to strive: if in his striving he did some odd things, never mind; the key was to be positive in coaching and encourage rather than criticize. It was inevitable that some of his crews, which had moved only a little way along the road to perfection, showed ungainly attitudes and exaggerations of ideals which earned bitter condemnation from more orthodox coaches, but what Fairbairn's crews lost in aesthetics they often gained in speed.

Fairbairn was an enthusiast, and was able to impart his enthusiasm to his pupils. He was ever progressive, ever ready to try out some new idea in coaching or some new device such as long slides or swivel rowlocks. He did much to make rowing popular, particularly in the clubs at Putney, and in 1925 he instituted the ‘head of the river’ race on the Putney to Mortlake course: a bronze bust of Fairbairn, by George Drinkwater, is held each year by the winning crew as the trophy. He coached many successful crews of both the London Rowing Club and the Thames Rowing Club, but his old college, Jesus, always took first place in his affections, and for more than thirty-three years he devoted himself to coaching its crews. It was a small college with a small boat club, but Fairbairn brought it many successes. His crews always raced hard and often won against crews which seemed to be better or more experienced.

Fairbairn was known throughout the rowing world as Steve, and even those who disagreed with his unorthodox ways admitted his genuine love of rowing, his boundless enthusiasm, his kindliness, and his genius for coaching. He cut a tall, portly figure on the river bank, 'in an old blue blazer, with back as straight as when he rowed in '82, chest thrown out, head slightly on one side, and eyes fixed immovably on the crews racing past' (The Times, 17 May 1938). His writings include Rowing Notes (1926) and an autobiography, Fairbairn of Jesus (1931). His collected writings on rowing were published in a single volume in 1990, Steve Fairbairn on Rowing, edited by his son Ian. Fairbairn died at his residence, the Mostyn Hotel, Portman Square, London, on 16 May 1938, in which year Jesus College retained the headship of the Cam; his ashes rest beneath the shadow of the college chapel. He is remembered in Cambridge by the Fairbairn cup races, which he inaugurated in the late 1920s as a handicap race between Jesus crews to serve as a form guide towards the end of Michaelmas term. The event later expanded to include other colleges and, in 1976, a women's event as well. And on the Thames in London there is the Steve Fairbairn memorial stone: marking 1 mile from the start of the boat race course at Putney, and 1 mile from the finish of the head of the river race, it aptly commemorates Fairbairn's immense contribution both to varsity and to tideway rowing.

Giles, W B
TRC-A-0010 · Person · nk
Hastie, James Morrison
TRC-A-0011 · Person · 1848-1897

Son of John Hastie (1796-1868) and Jane Morrison (1810-1867)

The Field (volume 90, 18 December 1897 p976) holds this obituary and record of his funeral:

On Monday, at the cemetery of Sunbury-on-Thames, the remains of this famous oarsman were laid to rest. Despite the fact that the weather was most inclement, rain falling with more or less persistency, there was a large gathering of his friends, but account day on the Stock Exchange kept many people away. Among those who paid the last tribute of respect to the deceased were Messrs J. W. Bashford, H. Edgell, F. E. Whitehurst, W. H. Eyre, F. Canton, S. D. Muttlebury, F. E. C. Clark, J. G. Jones, T. Young, C. Smith, T. Anderson, R. H. Forster, H. S. Crocker, J. Sutherland, A. T. Brophy, G. Hering, F. W. Long, H. J. Rust, J. Maycock, G. Yyse, M. T. Llewellyn, A. Radmall, E. A. Staines, of the Thames Rowing Club; G. D. Lister, C. Herbert, C. G. Ousey, E. Bartlett; F. A. Kent, of the London Rowing Club; W. G. Fidge, of the Vesta Rowing Club; W. Giles, W. Wilson, W. Meyerstein, J. Chambers, J. Swinson, and the professionals, W. East, W. G. East, W. J. Cobb, and H. Follett.
Mr James Morrison Hastie, who entered his forty-ninth year last October, was of Scotch parentage, but born in Russia. At an early age he came to this country and was educated at the High School, Edinburgh. In 1871, with no previous knowledge of rowing, he joined the Thames Rowing Club —a step which was destined to be of the greatest importance to that association, for it is not too much to say that it was in a very great measure owing to him that it became the important one it now is. Mr W. H. Eyre, who, in after years, was so closely connected with him, more especially in a pair-oared boat, was captain at the time, and quickly recognising the latent oarsmanship of the recruit, in the next season gave him a seat in the eight which entered for the Thames Challenge Cup at Henley Regatta, and was the first which the Thames Rowing Club had sent there. He also then rowed in the Wyfold Challenge Cup Four, and his crew followed up the successes of the two previous years, that prize being won by the Thames, as well as the eight-oared contest. In 1873 he again rowed in both crews, but it was only the Thames Cup which was won. In 1874 the club made a bid for the Grand Challenge Cup, encouraged by their success in winning the minor event, and from that year until 1885 inclusive Mr Hastie was a member of the crew which represented it. In 1876 and 1878 the cup was gained, as also was the Stewards Challenge Cup in 1880 and 1883, Mr Hastie rowing in the Thames crews for that prize during the same years which he did for the Grand Challenge Cup, except that there was no entry in 1873. For six years, with Mr W. H. Eyre at the bow thwart, he competed for the Silver Goblets, namely from 1877 to 1882, and won on three occasions, in 1877, 1880, and 1881. He also tried for them in 1833 with the late Mr H. B. Tween, and in 1885 with Mr J. A. Drake- Smith. At the Metropolitan Amateur Regatta he was a constant competitor from 1872 to 1884. In 1873, 1874, 1876, and 1880 he was one of the winners of the Metropolitan Champion Cup for Eights, and in 1881 rowed a dead heat with the London Rowing Club. The Thames Cup for Coxswainless Fours fell to his crew in 1875, 1880, 1882,1883, and 1884; and in the four years from 1877 to 1880 inclusive, with Mr W. H. Eyre as a partner, he won the Champion Pairs; also doing so with Mr H. B. Tween in 1883. Like many first- class oarsmen, he was not an especially brilliant sculler, but he won his Juniors at the Metropolitan Regatta in 1873.
Of his successes at other regattas it is impossible to write, they were so numerous, and were not confined to this country; but one important event must be reterred to. It will be in the recollection of many that in 1882 the Hillsdale’s, an American four of professed amateurs, cams over here intending to compete at Henley Regatta. Their entry, however, was not accepted by the stewards of that meeting, though they were permitted to row at Marlow Regatta. Rather than let them return to America without a representative race, the Thames Club challenged them to row from Putney to Mortlake, and this cartel was taken up. The Thames crew were H. B. Tween, J. M. Hastie (steerer), H. J. Rust, F. Canton (st.), and they most decisively defeated the Hillsdales, who led to Hammersmith, and in the most unsportsmanlike manner crossed and recrossed in front of the Thames crew, washing them badly. But at Chiswick Eyot, the bow of the American four put his hand behind him and threw away his slide, claiming that it was broken. The Thames crew had, however, fairly rowed them down at the time, and were going by. From 1875 until 1881 Mr Hastie was captain of the Thames Rowing Club. Without doubt he was one of the finest oarsmen who ever sat in a boat, and he was a perfect master of the art of watermanship. As so often is the case when one especially good man, horse, or dog is to the fore, there is at the same time another of exceptional merit, and so it was with Mr Hastie, who was contemporary with Mr F. S. Gulston of the London Rowing Club, at least his equal as an oarsman and waterman, and who deprived him of many a victory which would otherwise have been his. But though the rivalry between them was keen, it was always friendly, and each had a great respect and regard for the other. Genial to a degree, and possessed of great individuality, Mr Hastie had the happy knack of making friends wherever he was, and, having once been made, they were not lost. Though he was comparatively unknown to the present generation of active oarsmen, his death will leave a void which can never be filled with many who are only in middle life. It came as a shock at last but he was known to have been in a hopeless condition for some months past, and the consolation is that it maybe looked upon as a merciful release.

Page, W
TRC-A-0012 · Person · nk
Christie, A
TRC-A-0014 · Person · nk
Beresford, Julius
TRC-A-0018 · Person · 29 June 1868-29 September 1959

Julius Beresford Wiszniewski, later known simply as Julius Beresford, was the son of Julius Bernhard Wiszniewski, an immigrant to England from Danzig (Gdansk).

He married Ethel Wood in June 1897 and had three children.

He was a sculler at Kensington Rowing Club and then joined Thames when he decided to concentrate on sweep-oar rowing. He won the Stewards' at Henley in 1909 and 1911 and Silver in the coxed four at the 1912 Olympics.

He was later Captain and de facto head coach.

With his future brother in law Richard Hicks (who married his sister Stella Beatrice Johanna Wiszniewski in 1896) Julius Bernard formed Beresford & Hicks in 1891. The company had a factory in Hemsworth Street, Hoxton, and a showroom in Curtain Road, Shoreditch. By 1918 they were known as ‘manufacturing upholstering and framemakers’ with a large showroom at 135-139 Curtain Road. The firm supplied bedroom suites to Heal’s, Tottenham Court Road; this comprised one particular design in 1905 and three in 1936. The firm was also known for making high quality upholstered goods and English reproduction furniture of all types and supplied furniture to the Royal Family in 1933. Production grew to include high quality modern boardroom furniture and it was granted a royal warrant in 1958, with Jack Beresford, the son of Julius, named as the grantee. In 1967 the Hemsworth Street factory was purchased by the Greater London Council and a new factory was built in Kings Lynn. About this time the firm merged with another old-established but ailing firm, Alfred Cox of Corsham Street, to produce mainly domestic furniture. The firm was acquired by Uniflex in 1972 but ceased to exist in 1995.

Vernon, Karl
TRC-A-0020 · Person · 19 June 1880-11 July 1973
Fairbairn, Stephen Ian
TRC-A-0021 · Person · 14 April 1896-5 December 1968

Ian Fairbairn was the son of Steve Fairbairn and his wife Eleanor née Sharwood. He was educated at Eton, and then attended Royal Military College Sandhurst, and was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Royal Horse Guards on 11 November 1914. He was not posted to France on 19 May 1915, having just been promoted to lieutenant on 14 May. He transferred to the Guards Machine Gun Regiment on 12 August 1918, and was promoted captain on 18 October 1918. He ceased to be employed with the Guards Machine Gun Regiment on 31 January 1919, and resigned his commission on 1 May 1919. He was badly wounded during the war.

He was the Unionist candidate for Burnley (his first father-in-law's old constituency) in the 1924 and 1929 general elections; on both occasions he came second behind Labour's Arthur Henderson.

In 1920 he was runner up in Silver Goblets at Henley Royal Regatta in a coxless pair with Bruce Logan. In 1923 Fairbairn stroked the Thames crew which won the Grand Challenge Cup, and was again stroke in the Thames crew that made up the eight rowing for Great Britain at the 1924 Summer Olympics, finishing fourth. He was Captain of Thames in 1933, a Vice President from 1927–67 and President from 1967 until his death a year later. He was a Steward of Henley Royal Regatta from 1948 until his death.

Fairbairn pioneered the unit trust industry at M&G Investments which he joined in 1931. He believed that investments in equities should be available to everyone so that there was a wider ownership of stakes in the nation's economy.

He married Cynthia Isabelle Theresa Arbuthnot, daughter of Gerald Arbuthnot MP for Burnley on 27 July 1925. They had two children and were divorced in 1941 and he married a second time in 1941 to Esmée V. H. Bethell. She was killed by a V-1 flying bomb in 1944. Fairbairn appears to have held a reserve commission during the Second World War, but it is not clear if he saw any service. From 1943 he was chairman of M&G.

In 1955 he became chairman of the parent group White Drummond. In 1961 created the Esmée Fairbairn Charitable Trust as a memorial to his second wife, transferring his personal holding in White Drummond to the trust – through this investment it became one of the largest charities in the UK.

Beresford, Jack
TRC-A-0022 · Person · 1 January 1899-3 December 1977

Jack Beresford [formerly Jack Beresford Wiszniewski] (1899–1977), oarsman, was born at 36 St Mary's Grove, Chiswick, Middlesex, on 1 January 1899, the elder son and eldest of the three children of Julius Beresford Wiszniewski (b. 1868) and his wife, Ethel Mary Wood. His father, Julius, was taken to Britain from Poland by his governess at the age of twelve, and became a furniture manufacturer. Jack was educated at Bedford School, served with the Artists' Rifles in 1917, was commissioned in the Liverpool Scottish regiment, and was wounded in the leg in northern France in 1918. At school his sporting ambitions were directed at rugby, but prescribed physiotherapy of rowing a dinghy at Fowey, Cornwall, turned him to rowing. He then entered his father's business, and began working at the furniture factory Beresford and Hicks, of Curtain Road, London.

Beresford had an outstanding record as an amateur sculler and as an oarsman with Thames Rowing Club. He won the Wingfield sculls from 1920 to 1926, which made him amateur champion of England, and he won the diamond sculls at Henley royal regatta four times during that period. He made his international mark by winning a silver medal at the Olympic games in Antwerp in 1920, when he lost the single sculling title by one second to an Irish bricklayer from Philadelphia, John Brendan (Jack) Kelly. The two men, who in later years became friends, encapsulated the controversy of the day concerning amateur status. Before competing in the Olympics, Kelly's entry for the diamond sculls was refused. Kelly claimed that he never received the rejection letter, and the story spread that he was snubbed because, as a manual worker, the Henley stewards considered him to be a professional. Beresford, however, epitomized their view of an amateur oarsman prevalent at the time. He was sporting, displayed loyalty to his club, dressed for dinner, was well heeled, and when not in a boat was an ambassador for a gentlemanly way of life. He was fit and hardy, and a colleague remembered him as never wearing a waistcoat or an overcoat, whatever the weather. The real reason for Kelly's ban, however, was that his club, Vesper of Philadelphia, had been barred by the stewards in 1905 for sending for the Grand Challenge Cup an eight who had received payment and been supported by public subscription. Kelly's family bricklaying company built many of Philadelphia's twentieth-century public buildings. His son Jack grew up to win the diamond sculls in 1947 and 1949, and his daughter Grace became the princess of Monaco.

From the beginning of his rowing career, Beresford displayed the tactical brilliance of a winner, assessing his opponents' capabilities and pacing his training, and usually his racing, to do just enough to beat them, although he clearly possessed the killer instinct which motivates a winner and a breaker of records. 'He was very vicious in the boat,' said Eric Phelps, his coach for the Berlin Olympics. 'He would give a sickly smile to the man next to him. He never knew what it was to pack up' (private information, E. Phelps).

Beresford's successes proved his worth in every type of boat—eights, fours, pairs, and sculls—the more remarkable because his rowing weight was normally just over 11 stone and he stood about 5 feet 10 inches, light and short as oarsmen go. He won the Philadelphia gold cup for the world amateur title in 1924 and 1925, and was given the Helms award for sculling in Los Angeles in 1926. He won four further medals in the next four Olympic games: gold in the single scull in Paris in 1924, silver in the British eight in Amsterdam in 1928, gold in the coxless four in Los Angeles in 1932, and his most celebrated gold in the double sculls with Leslie (Dick) Southwood in Berlin in 1936.

The Berlin medal was Beresford's finest moment. The first five of the seven Olympic titles had gone to the Germans, under the watchful eye of their chancellor, Adolf Hitler, who was presenting the medals. Beresford and Southwood were coached by the English professional Eric Phelps, who had an intimate knowledge of the German team. He had a new, light boat built for his charges by Roly Sims in two and a half days (although it was lost in suspicious circumstances on the German rail system and turned up in Berlin only shortly before their first race) and surmised that the German crew, strong favourites, lacked the stamina to complete the 2000 metre course if put under severe pressure.

The British crew lost in the first heat to the Germans, who crossed into their lane, but qualified for the final by winning a repêchage, or ‘second chance’ round, in champion form. In the final, both crews jumped the start after observing that the starter, Victor de Bisschop, was using a megaphone so large that he could see nothing once he raised it to his lips. The British led for 500 metres, then Willy Kaidel and Joachim Pirsch went ahead. Opposite Phelps's vantage point at 1800 metres the crews were level. Southwood shouted when the Germans wandered from their lane, and then Pirsch stopped rowing. Phelps's men had rowed them down, just as he predicted. Beresford's German nickname, the Old Fox, was vindicated. It was 'the sweetest race I ever rowed in', he said. His record of rowing medals in five consecutive Olympics was unsurpassed until 2000, when Steven Redgrave of Britain won his fifth consecutive gold in Sydney.

Beresford crowned his outstanding record at Henley of two wins in the Grand Challenge Cup (1923, 1928), two in the goblets (1928–9), one in the stewards' (1932), and four in the diamonds (1920, 1924–6) by coming out of retirement with Southwood for a new event in 1939, the invitation centennial double sculls. Their famous victory in Berlin inspired the stewards to introduce this class of boat, and the Thames Rowing Club men, aged forty and thirty-six respectively, won the final in a dead heat with the Trieste double G. Scherli and E. Broschi. The Italians were European champions and much heavier and younger than Beresford and Southwood, and the Thames men realized that they would have no chance should the stewards order a re-row. As soon as they had returned their boat to its rack in the boat tent, Beresford went over to where the Italians were lying exhausted and, in a superb act of gamesmanship, cheerily congratulated them on a great race. 'Do it again in half an hour?' he is reputed to have said (private information, L. Southwood). The Italians declined profusely, and honours remained even.

In 1940 Beresford married Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Craske Leaning, a medical doctor. They had one son and one daughter. This marriage was dissolved and in 1958 he married Stroma Jean Margaret, daughter of the Revd Andrew Morrison; they had two daughters.

Beresford lived at Shiplake and was often seen sculling at Henley, but always competed for Thames Rowing Club, the Putney club for which his father, ‘Old Berry’, had a distinguished record as an oarsman and coach, including winning a silver medal in the 1912 Olympic games and several Henley medals. Jack was captain of Thames in 1928–9, a vice-president from 1936 to 1977, and president from 1970 to 1977. He devoted considerable efforts to coaching and sports administration, and he carried the flag as leader of the British team in the opening ceremony of the Berlin games. He managed rowing teams on tour in South America in 1947, for the empire games in 1950, and the Olympic games of 1952. He was a rowing selector from 1938 to 1954.

Beresford was a member of the British Olympic Council from 1936 and a member of the organizing committee of the Olympic games in 1948, as well as helping to coach the double scullers Bert Bushnell and Richard Burnell, who won a gold medal. He was awarded the gold medal of the International Rowing Federation in 1947, and the Olympic diploma of merit in 1949, after helping to organize the games in London and Henley-on-Thames in 1948. He was elected a Henley steward in 1946 and was on the committee of management for many years. He was connected with the National Playing Fields Association, the Greater London and South-east Sports Council, and served on the council of the Amateur Rowing Association for thirty-five years. He was a keen swimmer and beagler with the Farley Hill beaglers, and played the umpire in the film Half a Sixpence. He was rowing correspondent of The Field from 1966 to 1971. He was a member of the court of the Furniture Makers' Guild and a liveryman of the Painters' and Stainers' Company. He was made a freeman of the City of London in 1952 and appointed CBE in 1960.

Beresford was courteous both to colleagues and to younger oarsmen, although his competitive edge in a boat occasionally spilled into arrogance when dealing with lesser mortals on the bank. When over seventy he competed in the 4½ mile scullers head of the river race. He was shaken in his last years by a tragic accident at the national schools regatta at Pangbourne in 1969. On that occasion, aged seventy, he dived into the Thames from his umpire's launch to rescue a boy who had caught a crab during a race and had been swept out of his boat. Beresford, an expert swimmer, reached the boy under the surface but had to struggle with the victim's desperate attempts to cling to him. The boy was eventually drowned. His failure to overcome the boy's plight and the tricky currents troubled him for the rest of his life. He died at his home, Highlands House, Shiplake, on 3 December 1977, the morning after presiding cheerfully over the Thames annual dinner.

Burrough, Alan
TRC-A-0025 · Person · 22 February 1917-23 July 2002
Levy, John Francis
TRC-A-0026 · Person · 30 June 1921-11 August 2005

John Levy was born in Brazil, at Morro Velho, near Belo Horizonte. He contracted polio when he was 18 months old, and immediately afterwards his mother brought him back to her family home of Cornwall, settling in Chapel Porth; and later moving to Tattenham Corner. Levy went to Ewell Castle school, and studied chemistry, botany and geology at Imperial College from 1939 to 1942, where also coxed for Imperial College Boat Club. As a student his dream was to emulate Douglas Bader, the RAF pilot who flew after losing his legs. Levy had his withered left leg amputated and a false leg fitted. He would take the false leg off while coxing - sometimes leading to allegations of cheating by reducing his weight.

His first research project involved growing and studying tomatoes, a fruit which Levy couldn't abide, but he was soon diverted from his PhD studies in plant pathology (leaving his thesis unfinished) to lecture civil engineering students on timber and its properties in construction. He then spent 15 years teaching about timber and decay, establishing close cooperation with the Forest Products Research Laboratory.

His department was involved with others at Imperial in 1976 when the late Professor Alastair Cameron, of the lubrication laboratory, built an experimental, and highly successful, wooden racing four on the monocoque principle used in airframe construction. It won races at Henley powered by an Imperial crew, and prompted carbon fibre to be introduced into boat building by British Aerospace, which made an eight for the Olympic team. Monocoque construction became universal as wood bowed out as the favoured material for racing craft.

Levy was made a doctor of science and became professor of wood science in 1981. Initially encouraged by the British Wood Preservation Association, he started his research at Imperial's mine at Tywarnhale in Cornwall and at its field station at Silwood Park. This early work led to the establishment of a research group of worldwide renown, and it remains as his legacy. He also worked on the preservation of the hull of Mary Rose, and he studied the bows of the ship's archers, working out that the men must have been above average height to fire the deadly weapon.

He remained a rowing stalwart for his whole life as cox and then captain of Thames Rowing Club, Imperial's neighbour in Putney. Levy's presence in Imperial boats was keenly heard during the war when several college eights used the Thames regularly, often caught in air raids when they had to decide whether to run for shelter under a bridge or put distance between themselves and what may have been the Luftwaffe's prime target.

He served as president of both boat clubs and of Kingston regatta, and celebrated his birthday this year at Henley. Levy brought the same qualities of his professional life to his rowing activities, captaining Thames Rowing Club at the time when its committee outmanoeuvred its backwoodsmen to admit women as members. He was always quietly persuasive, never showing temper or raising his voice except when in the back of a boat.

TRC-A-0027 · Person · 7 April 1929-31 March 2002

Chris Dodd wrote this obituary in the Guardian:

"Geoffrey Page, who has died aged 72, was the last survivor of a small band of rowing correspondents who were heavies in every sense of the word.
When I began writing on the subject for the Guardian in the 1970s, I was apprenticed to the Sunday Telegraph's Page, the Daily Telegraph's Desmond Hill and the Sunday Times' Richard Burnell, eccentric fanatics who were masters of the stopwatch, judges of fine blade-work, thorns in the side of selectors, and barstool coaches par excellence. They were also a discerning panel on wines, beers and firewaters of the world, and could Hoover a buffet like no one else. Their arguments were radical, and they seldom agreed about anything.

Hill and Burnell died some years ago, leaving only Geoffrey, who started with the Sunday Telegraph in 1967 and moved to the daily in 1984. His surname was unnecessary for recognition purposes on regatta courses from the Tideway to Tasmania.

Brought up in Barnes, south-west London, his early life was spent in a house with a tower, and views of a large segment of the Boat Race course. He was marinated in rowing at St Paul's school, where his father was a brilliant languages teacher who coached rowing before becoming secretary of the Amateur Rowing Association. Geoffrey rowed for London University while studying art at the Slade, and throughout his life mixed art, pottery, graphology, poetry, travel writing and family life with rowing.

Early rowing correspondents came from a school in which the rating watch ruled, and the prose was usually in the language of insiders. They were critics, not interviewers or profile writers, and Geoffrey always remained close to this approach. He seldom quoted rowers or coaches, recording their progress instead on multi-coloured charts in his neat handwriting, and latterly on an ancient laptop, an encyclopaedic back-up to his prodigious memory for names and results. He could pontificate to an infuriating pitch, but was also sharply outspoken when at odds with officials, and was learned and entertaining company away from the crowd.

A t Henley, he occupied poll position in the press box, with his glasses trained on the umpires' launches as he castigated them for bad steering. At Lucerne regatta, he stayed in the same room at the Hotel des Alpes each year, sipping large gin and tonics on his balcony overlooking the old town and the Pickwick, the rowers' favourite watering hole.

The height of his rowing career was a gold medal in England's eight, and a bronze in the coxed four at the 1954 Commonwealth Games. He sat in many of the Thames Rowing Club's crews and became captain, taught in Canada, and coached University College, Dublin, to win the Ladies' Plate in 1974, ending a famine of Irish Henley medals which had lasted since 1902. He chaired the Amateur Rowing Association's technical committee, and was a selector during the 1960s. He also wrote a sumptuous history of the Thames Rowing Club and co-authored the history of Leander Club with his friend Richard Burnell.

He was a harsh critic of the Olympic games but, at Sydney 2000, he relished the performance of the British crews, and failed to find fault with the facilities.

In his younger days as a teacher of art and pottery at University College School, Geoffrey and his wife Paddy, also a painter, would tour Europe in an ancient Volks- wagen camper van. They would often appear at the world championships with a barrel of plonk on board, the proceeds sometimes of a Geoffrey impressionist painting on the corniche at Cannes.

During the last year, a portfolio of ailments slowed him down. While in hospital last month, he was elected president of the Thames Rowing Club; he was also president of the British Association of Rowing Journalists, whose emblem of crossed pen and oar in a camera body he designed, though he was too large a man to get into even the groups' XXL polo shirt.

He had seen 57 Boat Races, most of them from the press launch as official timekeeper since 1969. He listened to last Saturday's race in his hospital bed, while the week of shenanigans at Putney was bereft of his part in the black arts of spotting a weak oarsman, picking a winner and arguing with editors about the number of words."

Rachel Quarrell wrote this for The Independent:

"A more passionate supporter of the sport of rowing could not be found than Geoffrey Page – lifelong oarsman, coach and rowing journalist. Although he could not make what would have been his 58th Boat Race attendance, he followed every stroke of last Saturday's thrilling contest on the radio from his hospital bed, and had been planning to watch the video when allowed home.

Born in Barnes, Surrey, in 1929, Geoffrey Page was destined to grow up on the river. His father, Freddie Page, five times captain of Thames Rowing Club, signed his son up as a cadet member of the Putney club at the tender age of six weeks. The young Geoffrey began his own rowing two miles upriver at St Paul's School, where his father taught, and was made captain of the school boat club for his last two years.

Moving to study art at the Slade in 1948, the enthusiastic Page was shocked to find a lethargic boat club at University College London. His mutterings about the "lack of spirit" ensured that he was elected captain of the club in his second term at college. Enlisting the help of several distinguished coaches, he set about reviving the club's fortunes, and in 1949 co-founded the London University representative boat club, gaining his Purple by rowing in the first UL crew to be formed.

In 1953 Page graduated to row at Thames, winning the Head of the River on his début for the club, followed by trophies at most of the major regattas. His own international aspirations brought him two medals at the 1954 Empire Games, although he rowed several times at Henley Royal Regatta without ever winning one of the coveted medals. He continued to coach, both at Chiswick Grammar School and at UL as well as Thames, and wrote his first book, Coaching for Rowing, in 1963. Page was proud to be appointed national coach and selector for the 1964 and 1968 Olympics, and continued his own participation, captaining Thames RC four times between 1959 and 1969, and elected President of the club early in 2002.

Nineteen sixty-five saw the beginning of Page's journalistic career, as first The Sunday Telegraph and then The Daily Telegraph appointed him their rowing correspondent. His acute coach's eye for technique and talent for description brought him a global reputation as a writer, and he soon established his favourite viewing spots at all the great rowing events. Journalism and rowing only clashed once, when, as part of the Oxford coaching team for the 1987 "mutiny" Boat Race, he felt obliged to step down from his involvement with the crews when he realised he was going to have to write about their problems in the national press.

The Boat Race continued to be his passion, and he wrote with an even-handed severity about both Oxford and Cambridge when they failed to live up to his high standards, although his heart remained firmly Dark Blue in private. One of the official timekeepers for the race, he had a grandstand view from the press launch for nearly 40 years, and would have loved to have been at last Saturday's epic battle.

Rowing at all levels continued to attract Page, even though in recent years age and health problems made it difficult for him to climb the steps of regatta viewing stands. Summoning the energy to attend the Sydney Olympics, he watched Steve Redgrave win his fifth gold, and provided the expert analysis last summer as Matthew Pinsent and James Cracknell won two gold medals in a day at the Lucerne World Championships. He never forgot the youngsters, however, and took particular care to encourage those just beginning on their international careers, rewarding success with approving comments in his Telegraph articles.

Page's early artistic leanings continued throughout his life, and he always described himself as a potter, although he also sketched and painted, producing several excellent portraits of rowing figures amongst his opus. He was a published poet, and became an accomplished graphologist, using his eye for detail to analyse the handwriting of those unwary enough to put pen to paper. As an archivist he wrote histories of Thames, UCL and Leander rowing clubs, the last co-authored with Richard Burnell.

As President of the British Association of Rowing Journalists, Page chaired the annual BARJ meetings, held in the press box over the river on the last day of Henley Royal Regatta, with laconic wit. He always managed to draw the meeting to a close in time for the first final of the regatta, ever aware of the real business of the day. This year's regatta will not be the same without Geoffrey Page, telescope to his eye, judiciously pronouncing the winner before the two crews are more than halfway up the course.

Canton, Frank
TRC-A-0035 · Person · 1854-1919
TRC-A-0036 · Person · 18 August 1835-1903

A founding member of the club and its first Captain, Frederick Catty was also a member of London Rowing Club.

He was born in Cambridge but by 1851 had moved with his family to Putney - his father was a lawyer's clerk. At the time of the founding of the club he was living at Hope Cottage in Charlwood Terrace (which appears to have been later demolished to make way for terraced housing.

He joined the Bank of England as a clerk in 1854 and remained there until his retirement in 1897.

Catty was involved in a controversy at London RC related by Chris Dodd in 'Water Boiling Aft':

“Henley was a mixed bag for London in 1858… London had to reshuffle [the crew of their eight in the Grand Challenge Cup] on the morning of the race, because Frederick Catty, the number 3, did not show up. Nottidge was put in at four and Schlotel moved from four to three...There was a fearful argument about Catty’s absence, some accusing London of orchestrating a last-minute substitution of a better oarsman. Nottidge denied this by pointing out that he himself had been unwell on the morning of the race and had almost fainted in a Henley chemist’s shop. The argument was fuzzy, and rumbled on despite Catty’s explanation of his action. On 5 July he replied to a sharp note from Frank Playford and Casamajor, the joint secretaries: ‘It is with much surprise and regret that I have read your note of the third instant. In reply I beg to mention that the captain and crew are aware that I would not row at Henley Regatta because the Governor of the Bank of England, in which establishment I am a clerk, seeing by the newspapers that I was about to row, expressly forbade me from leaving the bank and if I had disobeyed this injunction I should have been dismissed from my appointment.’

'With reference to a public or private explanation, it did not appear to me to be necessary as I sent a telegraphic message to Henley on the day of the race and my brother-in-law Mr Shearman who was at Henley the same day explained to the crew the reason of my absence; moreover last Thursday I saw the captain of the club and our Hon Sec Mr Casamajor and no mention was made as to the necessity of explaining a matter which was so well known to the crew and I believe to the club.’

‘The crew are aware how deeply I was mortified at not being able to row, indeed the mortification and anxiety with respect to my position in the bank made me so unwell that I was sent away sick leave on the report of Mr Alfred Ince the surgeon to the bank and did not return for nearly a week... I have no desire to incur the censure of the club in addition to the mortification I have already suffered.’

Catty survived a motion of expulsion by thirty-one to ten, a narrow reprieve because the voting system used was one black ball in three to expel him...

Catty's reputation was still under speculation more than one hundred and thirty years later: 'Catty, of course, had by then withdrawn from the scene with as much dignity as he could muster,' wrote Geoffrey Page in 1991. 'It is therefore interesting to speculate about his appearance in 1861 as the first captain of the City of London RC. Whether it was out of pique because of his treatment by London, or from friendship with some of the other founders, or from a desire to form a new club with less competitive aims, it is now impossible to say.'

London's records go some way to defusing such speculation, however. They show that Catty rowed in club races in twelve-oars, eights, fours and pairs, for the next five years. Moreover, during his tenure as captain of City of London RC he sat on the London committee, and took part in trial eights in 1862 and 1863. This was hardly a withdrawal from the London scene."

In 1863 he found himself at odds with the rest of the Thames RC Committee over proposals to construct a clubhouse. He proposed that 'the promoters of the building scheme pay for the expenses attendant upon ascertaining the exact costs of the affair.' After his proposal was rejected by 24 votes to 1, he resigned as Captain.

His younger brother James later served as the fourth Captain.

Clark, Francis Edward Cope
TRC-A-0039 · Person · April 1865-1932

He spent census night in 1901 in the District Constitutional Club in St Martin's in the Fields and at that time described himself as single and a stockjobber agent.

Greenwood, Harold Edward
TRC-A-0049 · Person · 25 Aug 1880-October 1970

In the 1971 Journal the following obituary, by Jack Beresford, appeared:

"Harold E. Greenwood died in the late autumn of 1970 at the age of 90. He was affectionately known to all rowing men as ‘ The Little Moke.’ He joined Thames at the tail end of the last century soon after leaving Cranleigh School; and he appeared at Henley Regatta for the first time in 1899 as the coxswain of our Thames Cup Eight, at 7 stone 11 lbs. This crew lost to Kingston in the first round. (Incidentally 1899 was the year of my birth.)
For three more years he was the Thames Cup coxswain. In 1903 and 1904, he steered both the Grand and the Thames Cup Eights.
1905 saw Moke winning his first and only Henley medal, when our second eight lifted the Thames Cup. From 1906 to 1931 he steered the Grand Eight only. In 1910, Jesus just got home from us by 2 feet. Tyke Richardson stroked that crew with my father at bow and ‘ Duggie ’ (W. S. Douglas) in the engine room.
Moke captained the Club in 1912 — the year in which King George V and Queen Mary attended Henley Royal Regatta. Little Moke steered that year at 9 stone 6 lbs. We were beaten by Leander, who lost in the final to the Australians, but avenged their defeat at Stockholm in the Olympic Games Regatta, winning a gold medal for Great Britain.
Little Moke steered largely by intimidation—except at Henley. He was feared by coxswains of other clubs, because of his forceful personality and great flow of invective. He was adept at pushing other crews over the ‘ flats ’ at the Metropolitan Regatta. Up river he invariably succeeded in getting the best of the stream and the advantage of the bends, to the discomforture of other crews.
Rivalry with London R.C. was always intense in his day; and feelings between the two clubs ran high, even to the floor of the Stock Exchange, where our late President was a well known character.
Perhaps due to his love of horse racing, his aim when steering a boat was always to get onto the ‘rails.’ After the last war he was for a good many years Chairman of Kempton Park racecourse, and I believe not only put it onto its feet after the war, but made it one of the outstanding courses in the country.
Remenham Club has prospered through his foresight and wisdom when President. Those of us who were present will always recall his inspiring address at the opening of the new extension of that Club at Henley.
To me, Little Moke was a Thames man first and foremost, and his determination to see the Club prosper, both racing-wise and economically was paramount. In his latter years he appeared more and more to resemble a smaller version of Winston Churchill; and this applied even in delivery of the spoken word.
He was of Huguenot descent and succeeded the Earl of Radnor as Governor of the French Hospital in Rochester, remaining in that office until his death.
We all mourn his passing, but he ran his full span and led a full and varied life; he succeeded in extracting fun and enjoyment out of everything he undertook."

Hawes, Alan
TRC-A-0052 · Person · nk
Hicks, G B
TRC-A-0053 · Person · nk
Hutchinson, Arthur Middleton
TRC-A-0055 · Person · 14 February 1860-10 December 1937

Adm. pens. (age 19) at Jesus College, Cambridge, Oct. 1, 1879. [Youngest s. of Alan W., of Hollingside, Durham. B. Feb. 14, 1860, at Hollingside.] School, Durham (Dr Holden). Matric. Michs. 1879; B.A. 1884. Rowing ‘blue,’ 1881, 1882; Secretary, C.U.B.C., 1881. His career as an oarsman, extending over 60 years, was remarkable. Rowed with ‘Steve’ Fairbairn in well over 100 races; in eights and fours they were only beaten five times in 25 years; rowed in Germany, France and in America, where he spent several years. In the Great War, 1914-19, at the age of 54, which ‘a slip of the pen’ made 45, received a temporary Captain's commission in The Durham Light Infantry. Of Whitwell Grange, Durham. Died from the effects of a fall, Dec. 10, 1937. Buried at Shincliffe. Brother of Alan (1879); half-brother of John W. Fogg-Elliot (1886) and of Charles T. Fogg-Elliot (1890). (Durham Sch. Reg.; Book of Blues; The Times, Dec. 14, 1937.)

Kirkpatrick, Peter Crichton
TRC-A-0060 · Person · 24 August 1916-5 October 1995

The following obituaries appeared in Regatta magazine:

"Peter Crichton Kirkpatrick was an oarsman of immense stature who brought wry humour to the towpath through a long life which began on August 24 1916 and lasted until he died in his sleep on October 5, aged 79. Son of a GWR engineer and grandson of Sir William Perkin who practically invented the British dyestuffs industry, he was educated at Monkton Combe and Queens' College Cambridge before going to work as a chemist for ICI's dyestuffs division in 1937. After war service in Italy and Greece with the Manchester Regiment and the Yorks and Lancs Regiment, and the eventual rank of major, he returned to ICI and took up the oar again for Thames Rowing Club and for Britain. He was also familiar with less grand byways of rowing, having competed for the Salford club Agecroft on the Irwell.

In 1967 Peter switched careers to do marketing for the General Post Office, eventually becoming a consultant to BT for long past his retirement. He was a passionate supporter of Thames and GB crews, appearing on the bank at international regattas and world championships whenever he could, raising a pint at their successes and an eyebrow at their cock-ups.

His sharp observations, as much on society or politics as on rowing, were delivered in perfectly-timed one-liners. It was Peter who likened the refurbished Remenham Club to a Tesco, and Peter who, regretting that every leaf of countryside on Henley's Bucks bank was obscured by tentloads of suits 'sponsored as newts' during the boom eighties, remarked that if alcohol were banned the regatta would collapse, but if rowing were banned nobody would spot the difference. Happily recession restored some countryside at Henley for Peter's last few visits. An imposing physical giant, he had a gentle nature which belied one of the toughest strokes of his generation."
...
"The death of Peter Kirkpatrick at the age of 79 robs the rowing world, and Thames Rowing Club in particular, of one of the most distinguished oarsmen of the immediate post-war period. Peter rowed for Monkton Combe in the Ladies' Plate at Henley in 1934 and 1935, reaching the semi-finals in the former year. He rowed for Thames in the Thames Cup in 1937, for Queens' College, Cambridge, in the Ladies' in 1938, and for Thames again in the Grand in 1939, but without success. In 1936 he had won a Trial Cap at Cambridge as a Freshman and many thought he was unlucky not to win a Blue.

After war service he began an outstanding period with Thames. A tall, powerful heavyweight, he stroked the winning Stewards' Cup four at Henley in 1947, with Hank Rushmere at three. That year, the four and the Thames Goblets pair, ðSparrow' Morris and Alan Burrough, became the first British entries for the European Championships, but neither reached the finals.

In 1948, Peter rowed six in the Thames eight that won the Head of the River Race. He then went on to stroke Thames to win the Grand at Henley, and he also stroked the winning Stewards' four again that year. Regarded by many as an outstanding crew, the four represented Great Britain in the 1948 Olympics at Henley but they went stale and, rowing well below their true form, failed to reach the final. The following year, with Kirkpatrick again stroking, Thames reached the final of the Grand but lost to Leander. A composite eight, drawn from these two crews, represented England in 1950 in New Zealand in what were then known as the Empire Games, but after a series of misfortunes they could finish only third, to take the bronze medal. In 1951, Peter stroked Thames for his third and final Stewards' win. In all these crews, Hank Rushmere rowed behind Peter and the two remained firm friends for the rest of Peter's life.

He became an occasional coach for Thames after retiring from active competition and took an active part in the club's administration. He was captain in 1950 and was elected a vice president in 1969. A keen, if critical, supporter of rowing, he could usually be found on the Remenham mound during Henley training with his old friend Ramsay Murray, who died last year. A frequent spectator at Lucerne and World Championships, his presence and strong personality will be much missed by a host of his rowing friends."

Morris, Ronald C
TRC-A-0070 · Person · nk

In the 1971 Journal, the following obituary, by K A Williams, appeared:

"‘ Sparrow ’ Morris was so well known to so many of us and so well liked in the rowing world that his loss will be felt severely. He came to Marlow Regatta in June and we looked forward to having him with us at Henley; but he died suddenly on the Monday morning after Marlow just before setting out to work.
He came to Imperial College about 1930 and took to rowing so happily that he rowed in the ICBC eight that raced in the final of the Thames Cup at Henley in 1932, losing to London R.C. by only four feet. Two years later he won the Thames Cup in the last Thames R.C. boat to do so—a crew that raced that year in near record times, and one whose members have been in the forefront of the Club ever since.
Sparrow went on to row in the Grand and Stewards. As a steersman of coxless fours and pairs he was perhaps unequalled in his day. After the war he rowed very successfully with Alan Burrough, losing the Goblets by only six feet to Pinches and Sturges. The pair represented the country at the European Championships at Macon. In 1948 he was bow in the Thames R.C. crew that won the Grand at Henley in a most convincing manner. Whatever the official records may say about that crew, it is a fact that in the middle of the final it rowed two whole minutes, one at 24 strokes in a minute and a second at 23½, with their opponents trailing well behind at about 38. Even today this crew can pass as a model of the best in English rowing; and, indeed, its approach to rowing and its style have formed the basis of many very successful crews since. Sparrow went on to prove himself an extremely good coach and his help was appreciated wherever it was sought. He was Captain of Thames R.C. for two years in the middle 1950s and latterly a Vice-President. He must have been one of the three most successful coaches of Imperial College; and Portora Royal School would be the first to praise what he did for them.
His experience of international rowing was not confined to the pair-oar already mentioned. He coached the English eight, provided by Thames R.C., at Ghent in 1955; and though this proved an uphill job, he brought his usual happy outlook to things. Indeed, it is this happy approach to life that we shall remember him for chiefly. Apart from rowing his main interest lay in motorcars and motoring. He was the safest—and perhaps the fastest— driver I have known; and I think he was as happy in a car as in a boat. But then, a superb bow & steers ought to be."

Oswin, Thomas
TRC-A-0074 · Person · 1 November 1834-1895

Born in Northampton to David and Elizabeth Oswin.

Married in 1859 at St George's Hanover Square to Cordelia Jane Sadler.

At the time of the 1861 Census he was In 1861, he lived in 1 Margaret Villas, Putney, and described himself as a warehouseman. By 1871 he had moved to 68 West Hill Road and described himself as a silk mercer.

Died in 1895 at the age of 60.

Rayner, Pauline A
TRC-A-0080 · Person · 1940-2024

Obituary from the Thames RC website:

Pauline was a member of Thames RC for over 40 years, and the club’s first female captain, chair and president.

Pauline first took up rowing aged 13 at Alpha Women’s Amateur Rowing Club in Chiswick and started racing almost immediately, competing in her first Women’s Eights Head of the River Race (WEHORR) just before her 14th birthday. She represented Great Britain at the 1960 European Rowing Championships.

In 1983 Pauline joined Thames RC, and quickly became an integral part of the club. As a teacher she was key to building the rowing programme at Putney High School, running the squad out of Thames and later Barn Elms Boat House for a time and teaching many young women to row. Later on she coached the Thames novice squad for many years, imparting her rowing wisdom firmly and honestly.

At the same time Pauline kept up her own rowing career, winning hundreds of veteran medals at events in the UK and worldwide. Until recently she rarely missed competing in WEHORR, and was fond of putting together carefully selected crews for Veteran Fours Head of the River and the Vesta Veterans Head – often with great success and another pennant to add to her considerable collection. She also held indoor rowing records during her career, which lasted well into her 70s.

Pauline was elected as captain of Thames in 1990 and served until 1993; she then took over as the club chair between 2001 and 2009, and also served as membership secretary for many years. She was made club president in 2019. During her time on the club committee Pauline played a major role in managing and fundraising for the construction of a new gym, opened in 2005. She was awarded an MBE in 2007 for services to sport.

Pauline also looked after the simpler needs of the club, cooking athlete meals for a time and for many, many years running the weekend refreshments table – including baking huge trays of delectable flapjacks, which were devoured by hungry rowers.

The club was delighted in 2019 to name a new women’s eight in Pauline’s honour and the shell has since recorded several wins, including back-to-back wins in the Copas Cup for club eights at Henley Women’s Regatta. The 2023 crew were thrilled that Pauline was able to witness the victory in person.

Pauline was also able to attend Henley Royal Regatta in July 2023 to see three Thames victories, including the second win in the club women’s event, the Wargrave Challenge Cup, and celebrated those again at the annual dinner in late November. It was a delight for all that she was able to be at both events.

Pauline’s contribution to the club cannot be underestimated, and she will be remembered fondly and missed hugely by all.

Reddin, Alan R
TRC-A-0081 · Person · c1925-30 August 1993
Smith, James Arthur Drake
TRC-A-0089 · Person · 1853-1899

Born in Dublin.

In 1891 he was living in Putney with a wife, Clara, and a young son, Douglas. His occupation was listed as merchant.

Williams, Kenneth Alan
TRC-A-0096 · Person · June 1903-5 October 1982

Dr Kenneth Alan Williams, known to all as Bill, was born in Brentford and educated at Mercers School and Chelsea Polytechnic, and it was at the latter that he learned to row, eventually becoming Captain of University of London Boat Club (Chelsea Polytechnic being affiliated to the University).

He joined Thames in 1929, proposed by his brother Ronald and seconded by Freddie Page.

He won the Thames Cup in 1934 and reached the final of the Wyfold in 1946.

He served on the Committee in the following roles:

1930-1935 Committee member
1936-1940 Honorary House Steward
1940-1945 One of the Commission of three which ran the club during wartime
1945-1950 Committee member
1950-1955 Joint Honorary Secretary
1956 Captain
1957 Deputy Captain
1958-1961 Committee member
1961-1982 Vice President
1973-1977 Chairman

He was a regular coach of Thames crews as well as those of Queens College, Cambridge and the Royal Engineers.

At different times he served on the Council of the Amateur Rowing Association, was Chairman of the Thames Amateur Rowing Council, and was Chief Examiner of Umpires.

He was a founder member of Eyre Club, President of Remenham Club, and Master of the Argonauts Masonic Lodge.

He did a great deal of highly valuable work with the club records. He produced several articles on club history for the Thames Journal, and his extensive notes form the basis for much of Geoffrey Page's 'Hear the Boat Sing: the history of Thames Rowing Club and Tideway Rowing'. He was also a keen amateur photographer and took many photos of club crews and events.

He passed the ARIC (Associate Royal Institute of Chemistry) examinations in 1923 and gained full BSc Honours in 1926. He was an analytical chemist, specialising in edible fats and oils, and rose to become Principal of the firm ER Bolton. He was President of the Society for Analytical Chemistry in 1955-6.

Hughes, Charles Wylde
TRC-A-0098 · Person · 1855-1948

He was a member of Argonauts Lodge.

Russell, C
TRC-A-0099 · Person · nk
Maycock, John
TRC-A-0100 · Person · 1850-5 October 1910